Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Flashback

Over the weekend when I was searching for garage sale items I came across my tub of "important" things I have kept from my teen years. It was a flood of memories going back thru some of the items I had. Things I haven't thought about for YEARS.

One item I found was the book I wrote in 8th grade, some of my high school year books, even a grade school one. And a few other things that impacted my teenage years.

The most interesting item I found was an old photo album that I had made for my high school sweetheart for his 16th birthday. I knew I had this, but it was some time since I had looked at it. (i had this because he returned it to me the last and final time we broke up:)

A recap, I dated this guy from late jr high until off and on through my high school years. We were together quite some time, even when we weren't "together" we were always still apart of each others lives. I'm sure you all remember the drama of the high school life. I called things off with him to see other people.

So, after taking a look at this, I decided to show it to Rachel. I had told Rachel a while back when discussing boyfriends and all that, that some day I'd show it to her. Rachel has had several questions for me, and I have always been honest with her about my experiences. I feel like it has helped, and she feels comfortable asking me questions.

Later that night Rachel came here, and I told her about finding this book again. She was more than interested to see it. Mostly cause I was SO embarrassed to show it to her. I kept telling her she could not make fun of me TOO bad.

I decided to take this opportunity as a learning experience. I showed her all the awful pictures of dances I attended, and things that we did together. In the book it had, ticket stubs, photos, cards, pictures and letters. We talked about how boys change so much as they mature. She was surprised how this "dorky" guy I first went out with looked some much different in our Prom picture together. She was also very surprised how skinny I was. As was I. I couldn't believe it!! I guess I have never thought of myself as EVER being skinny, but looking back at those pictures, I really was and did not know it. We talked about the feeling girls have about their bodies isn't really what was always true. I would of sworn that I wasn't as small as some of those other girls in my class, but I really was. I was a classic example of how people see them selves so much different than what they really are.

And then came the numerous letters I had written that I allowed her to read. I read every letter before hand to make sure it was appropriate for her to read. And most of them were nothing, just how much I was "in love" with him, and what I did during the day, very immature things. But then there were a couple of us fighting, one of us getting back together (again) The few letters that I (he) had saved covered about every topic. Rachel and I talked about just how much I swore I would marry this guy, how very much I thought I loved him, yet, that's not the way things turned out. And the choices I made. I hope it was a learning experience for her. (and I'm sure this is making you all think inappropriate things, but I was a good girl thank you very much).

Overall, I think it was an eyeopening experience for her. It was a good conversation for both of us. I'm glad I got to share that with her. Amberlea too was interested in it, but I told her in a few more years, I'll show them to her too.

So, I put it all back, for another day I will go back down memory lane. It seems like a whole lifetime ago, it was hard to believe that was just 15 yrs ago. Where has the time gone? You might be thinking what Tim thought about all this. Oh, he was right there to hear it all, nothing he hasn't ever heard before. Didn't bother him one bit. Neither Tim or I are the jealous type, it helps our marriage considerably.

No comments:

Post a Comment